Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Transgender chickens

When I bought some assorted pure-bred heavy breed chickens a few years ago, some of them were Blue Andalusians, as pictured at http://www.efowl.com/Blue_Andalusian_Chicken_p/1104.htm  I had a handsome rooster and two hens, plus one that was black and one that was pale gray, which happens sometimes with Andalusians, which originated in Andalusia, Spain.  (You can google for more info if you wish).  Andalusians are a little smaller than the other chickens, more like Leghorns, and the hens have a more prominent comb, more like Leghorns.  They lay white eggs.  Look at those beautiful feathers, bluish-gray edged with black, The rooster was gorgeous, but unfortunately a few months ago fell prey to a fox or raccoon.  The hens have proven to be good layers, but recently I discovered that one of them has started crowing.  Yes.  (I have two roosters, a Silver-Spangled Hamburg and a little red bantam.)   S/he still looks very like the other one, but it seems its comb has gotten a little bigger and floppier.   I have known this to happen before; when I was a kid I remember that my mother insisted that one of our hens had turned into a rooster.  When I was studying animal genetics at MSU I learned that it does happen, as I recall it seems that sometimes a hen has only one ovary and appears normal and lays eggs, but if something happens to that ovary she begins to exhibit characteristics of a rooster.    I don’t know if s/he is still laying, I am getting at least one white egg a day, so I will have to keep checking.   I also don’t know how much this chicken will continue to change—will s/he grow bigger, grow spurs, and grow larger tail feathers?  And exhibit male behaviors?  Should be interesting to watch the transition.

8/4/2011

Keeping an eye on this critter.  One of the things I've always liked about roosters is the way they look out for their hens.  When they are roaming around, looking for bugs and seeds, if the rooster finds something he starts clucking loudly, calling his hens to come eat, not eating himself, but standing and watching them while they eat.  He will do the same when I toss treats out to the chickens, pick up a piece and then drop it, calling hens over to come eat.  So yesterday I was observing this fledgling rooster, whom I have named Andy, when I tossed out bread cubes for the chickens.  Andy did not exhibit rooster behavior at that point, just eating what came its way.  So it hasn't made too much progress yet!!


No comments:

Post a Comment