Sunday, August 7, 2011

On Reading Sunday Comic


On reading Sunday Comics August 7, 2011

The Washington Post has 8 pages of comics, the Cumberland Times-News just 4.  Yet ctn has more comics that I read than does WaPo.

“Zits” is funny for those of you with adolescent/teen age boys, or who can remember those growing spurts.  Or for those who remember those growing spurts themselves.  The young man is shown with outsize legs, then with arms dragging the floor, then feet expanding so that they burst his shoes—he is just wishing his growth spurts were more coordinated.  For myself, I remember feeling very awkward at about age 14, and even thought of myself as looking like a horse, until, at age 18, when I was working for Quinn and Wise Insurance in D.C., my boss lady was worrying about whether I was really a good risk as employee because I might get sick, “you don’t look like a horse, you know.”  Revelation!!  Though maybe too late, I don’t remember if I looked at myself any differently after that.

Did you read “Baby Blues?”  Her husband can’t tell the difference between mascara and eye liner.  I remember when I was teaching at the Indian School in White Shield, and  never having been known as a makeup artist, one time I put on some mascara, and one of the girls remarked to a fellow teacher, a young man who taught geography, “Guess what?  Mrs Cutler is wearing mascara today.”  And he said, “What’s mascara?”

In Doonesbury two old geezers are discussing roof colors; one is advocating for white roofs to deflect heat in the summer, but wondering wouldn't that make for house harder to heat in winter..  Which reminds me that when Paul built our house in Cedarville in 1954, he installed a white asphalt roof, to deflect the summer’s heat.  And everyone was amazed, “White roof?  Who ever heard of a white roof?”  Hmmm, I wonder if it still has a white roof.  After all these years, should have needed a replacement by now.

Then there’s Pickles, and the problems of seniors learning how to use a computer; Grampa is saying:  “Oh, shoot?  I think I just deleted the whole darn internet.”   I know my children are familiar with my cries for help. 

How about Baldo?  Papa is going around the house, sees the daughter playing video games, the son talking on cell phone, the gramma on the computer, and says:  “That’s it.  I’m tired of all this digital stuff!  We’re spending time together as a family the good old-fashioned way!”  So they sit together on the couch and watch TV.

In Snuffy Smith, the old geezer explaining to the parson how he used to be such an angry feller, but now he doesn’t have an enemy in the world.  Because he outlived them all.




No comments:

Post a Comment