Thursday, August 18, 2011

Rick Perry Slander on Scientists--taken back

I have modified the following news item.   I have crossed out some words in the original, and added some of my own, all of which are italicized.

Posted: 17 Aug 2011 04:00 PM PDT

Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry suggested Wednesday that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by scientists who are motivated by cash.

"There are a substantial number of scientists pseudo scientists , think tanks, Republican legislators, and right-wing talking heads, who have manipulated data so that they will have dollars rolling into their projects pockets from the oil, coal, and gas industry," the Texas governor told a group of supporters at the "Politics and Eggs" Breakfast in Bedford, New Hampshire.

"I think we are seeing it almost weekly or even daily, pseudo scientists who are coming forward and questioning the original idea, from real scientists, that manmade global warming is what is causing the climate to change," Perry added. "Yes, our climate has changed. They And it has been changing for ever since the Earth was formed, but never more so than now since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution."

"But I do not buy into a group of pseudo scientists, who have been, in some cases, found to be manipulating this information. And the cost to the country and to the world of not implementing these anti-carbon programs is in the billions if not trillions of dollars at the end of the day. And I don't think, from my perspective of ignorance, that I want America to be engaged in spending that much money on still a scientific theory, even though it may be based on substantive investigation and evidence, that has not been proven, although of course, by the time it is, it will be too late, and from my oblivious perspective, is more and more being put into question."



Also,” he went on to say, “I don’t believe the earth is round, because, if  it were, then when I shine this flashlight in that direction, straight ahead, the light from it would go all around the earth and shine on my backside.”

No comments:

Post a Comment