Tuesday, May 22, 2012

MISSING MAMMA

[Mothers' Day can bring back some of the simplest of memories.  My mother, Drewry Elizabeth Woody Harpold, died in 2005 at the age of 92, leaving over 100 descendants.  Following is a message I sent out to siblings and children for Mothers' Day.]
Missing Mamma
Recently when I opened the catchall drawer in the kitchen to find a rubber band, I realized I was pulling out the last of the supply of rubber bands.  How could this be?  Rubber bands were an inexhaustible resource, at least they had been for me for many years.  I had not had to purchase any for 20 years.  And I realized that this was because my mother had provided me with a steady supply, back in the 90’s when I was a teacher and in much need.  These were from her years long collection, as well as current ones saved from her newspapers.   I do remember thinking, at the time, “What am I to do with all these rubber bands, I will never use them all up.”  Yet here it was, the last rubber band.   Now I will have to buy some, where are they sold, anyway?

Whenever I make up a glass of Iced tea, I find myself chanting, “A heaping teaspoon for me, a level teaspoon for you,” which was what I would chant when I had lunch or supper with Mamma, and was allowed to make our iced tea, since that was something I could do without blunder.  

Recently I bought a 2000 Volvo V70 Cross Country Station Wagon.  You remember that I had an ’81 Volvo Station Wagon, which I drove for 19 years, till 2009.  When Volvo came out with AWD, back in mid-90’s, I remember thinking, “I wonder how long it would be before I could afford to buy one second-hand?”  One time when I visited Mamma, in the last year or so of my teaching, she told me that she had noticed that Byrd Auto, in Hagerstown, had a used Volvo for sale, so I went there and tried it out.  Liked it too, but didn’t expect ever really to own one.  Now here I am, owning one.  And thinking of Mamma as I drive it.  Although I don’t know if even she imagined me ever driving a red one!
‘Sfunny, of all  the memories one has of one’s Mother, it’s the little things that continually recur.

Much love to all, you who are mothers, you who are married to mothers, you who have mothers, you who will become mothers, you who will be married to mothers, you who have memories of mothers,










No comments:

Post a Comment