Monday, May 28, 2012

Gardening in May


Following the Shade:

 When temperatures are in the 80s and 90s, then by midday the gardener has to “Follow the Shade,” moving as the shade moves, and avoiding the harder work, such as hoeing and mowing.  By no means having to avoid the pleasure of gardening.  A lot of that these days.

 Rain, Mowing, and Potatoes


Unlike in many parts of the country, we have had more than adequate rain, more like April than May, a real thunderstorm last night.  Grass and weeds so tall and lush that it takes long to dry out enough to mow between rains, and the mower clogs up on the wet and lush growth and quits.   I will never catch up.  The back gardens are at their glory with roses, clematis, and peonies; just ignore the weeds which try to detract from the flowers.  “Look at me, too, I’m here.”  And the potatoes—hip high, so lush I am afraid they are going all to foliage and flowers and there will be no potatoes.  We shall see.

 Hands Dirty or Clean?

 Hazel and I were working together, spreading a truckload of mulch, weeding as we went,  on foundation planting around the house.   She remarked on my bare hands, that I must like working in the dirt.  It is true, I never wear gloves.  I said, “Well, I guess I would rather get my hands dirty working in the garden than clean washing the dishes.”  Truth.  When we were through, she came in the house to wash her hands, went to the kitchen sink, and was stopped, by a sinkful of dishes soaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment