Wednesday, September 5, 2012

BLOGGING THE DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION 2012 WED


BLOGGING THE DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION 2012 WED

The talk of the town is Michelle Obama; she just blew them away, it seems, and had everybody crying.  Of course, I missed that first night, as I entrained at Union Station in DC at 6:30, and did not reach my destination of Charlotte till 2:30 a.m. this morning.  And I could not access internet on the train, so I could not follow anything.  In my imagination, everyone on the train was, like me, excitedly headed for the convention, but no, it seems they were headed for various points south in Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia, all the way to New Orleans.  But few got off in Charlotte.   As I entered the lobby, I heard a gentlemen excitedly describing to a small group of people how moving Michelle Obama’s speech was, how grown men were crying, and I had to interrupt to ask him if he watched her speech, and he said, “Watch it? I was there in the hall.”  He was with the Voice of America, so could relate details of the evening.  Other speakers that received accolades included Julian Castro, mayor of San Antonio, Deval Patrick, Gov of Massacusetts, Corey Booker, mayor of Newark NJ, and Lily Ledbetter.

My daughter, Valerie, came for me and whisked me to the hotel, where we caught a few hours sleep before attending an early morning breakfast, where we were privileged to sit at table with Sen Tom Foley, and to listen to a succession of speakers that included U. S. Rep. Rick Larson (WA dist 2), and Keith Ellison, that fabulous congressman from Minnesota Keith Ellison.

Sorry, I gotta run, we’re off to the next event.  Be back with you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment