Thursday, August 30, 2012

BLOGGING THE DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION PRE 1


 
BLOGGING THE DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION 2012 PRE 1

Can it really be, this once in a lifetime event, attending the Democratic National Convention? At the West Virginia State Convention in June I teased a young woman, Hannah, age 18, from Jefferson County, who was soliciting my vote for her nomination as delegate to the National, “What?  Why should a young whipper-snapper like you get to go when I have never been?” I, being one whose age is the reverse of Hannah’s, that is, just reverse the digits.  Of course, I did vote for Hannah and she was a winner.  But for myself?  It was a few weeks later that my baby daughter, Valerie, who as Vice President of the Washington State Democratic Executive Committee, is a super-delegate to the convention, invited me to be her guest.   I still can hardly imagine it, but, Hannah, I hope to see you there.
Now it is just five days before I leave by train from Martinsburg for Charlotte NC, and after three days there, travel by train with Valerie to Maryland to visit with family.  A total of seven days.  And so much to do.  Like catching up on all the gardening I haven’t been able to keep caught up on all summer.  Weeding the main garden, with its prolific invasion of jimson weed and that stickery-weed-that-resembles-redroot pigweed-but-isn’t from a liberal truckload of manure that was spread in the spring, and harvesting the silver queen corn, the tomatoes, the peppers, digging the last of the potatoes.  And weeding the back gardens—the kitchen and arbor gardens—with their profusion of self-sown summer phlox mingled with queen anne’s lace and goldenrod and that awful grasslike weed-whose-name-I-also- do-not-know-but-may-be-smartweed, which is superior as a ground-cover to any other weed I know, but at least has the virtue, if virtue it is, of easily coming out by the handsful.  Oh, and did I mention mowing the lawn?

And then there is the barn work, clean out the hen coops and clean up the barnyard, make sure there is an adequate supply of feed and that the caretaker (another daughter) knows how to care for them all.  As well, replenish supply of dog and cat food and post their schedules.  And don’t forget the birdfeed.  Dispose of trash and compost and organize recycling.
Not to mention preparing for the trip, checking out the luggage and planning the wardrobe.  And how come the railroad tickets haven’t come yet?  And how many pieces can I carry on board and how many books can I manage?  And don’t forget the camera.  And oh yes,  personal business, such as a trip to the courthouse to pay property taxes.

And, not least of all, responsibilities for our local Democrats.  I know, I know, of course they can get along without me, but years ago when a friend cautioned me that, after all, no one is indispensable, I responded that if we all really believed that, we would never undertake to do anything.    And now there is the list of pollworkers to be completed, trying to recruit members for the executive committee and volunteers for campaign work, setting up headquarters, planning for candidates’ events, helping to prepare agendas for the meetings I will miss.
And trying, in the midst of all this, to keep up with what is going on at the Republican National Convention.  Did I hear aright?  Rick Santorum refers to “the assault on America and the family?”  As in, “assault on women’s rights, assault on the poor, assault on the middle class, assault on voters’ rights, assault on entitlements, assault on social safety net?”  I dvr all of this, and catch it in bits and pieces.  Don’t know if I can stand to listen to that wonderboy Paul Ryan, but I guess I must.  I prefer to listen, or read, for myself, and not just take someone else’s word for what was said.

But what really got me up at 3 a.m. is worry about Sukey, my young cat who scrambled through a torn porch screen yesterday evening, as she is wont to do (she, after all, having torn the screen herself), and failed to return at dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment