Sunday, March 6, 2011

Valerie blogs

[ I just wanted to share these with you these two blog entries which my daughter, Valerie, wrote  on Sunday, Feb 27, while visiting with me after her attendance at DNC in DC, in her capacity as VC of the Washington State Democratic Executive Committee.   She also visited our local HCDEC meeting on Monday the 28th, where she shared with us some ideas for revigorating our democratic party.   She mentions here ‘An American President,’ which we watched together during her visit.  Valerie writes at  http://blueframeworks.blogspot.com/ ]

One thing at a time
"We don't have time to do one thing at a time." (Lewis, played by Michael J Fox in An American President)

While I visit my mom, watch An American President, balance my checkbook, try to keep a cat from walking on my laptop, I am thinking about the DNC meeting and what to blog about, but I'll step back to the beginning of this trip.

Back on Monday, which I am sure was really a month ago, I attended a training in Lacey, Washington.

One message that carried through several of the sessions in varying degrees was this:

* Whose life would you like to improve? *

If you are thinking about running for office, currently are running for office, or are even holding office presently, please ask yourself 'Whose life would you like to improve?' Every step you take, plan you make, and vote you take should have that underlying question addressed in some way.

Celebrate that with every breath of your political life and lift up those around you and they will lift you up on their shoulders. When they can stand up straighter you will be taller in their midst.

Now I'm sure that everyone should watch An American President, I feel more eloquent and inspired as a result.

Political Immersion
I was sure that a three day DNC conference was about as deep an immersion you could get into political conversation.

I was wrong.

I am now immersed in a level of political thought that I didn't know existed.

My mother.

When I come up for air I will try to pick out a few waves to splash about in, but for now...

Valerie, out and under...

No comments:

Post a Comment