Sunday, December 9, 2012

My Fingers as Spell-Checkers


My Fingers as Spell-Checkers
My fingers are self-appointed spell checkers for me, constantly self-correcting what I am trying to write.  Problem is, they have become somewhat arrogant, and have taken upon themselves the task of pre-empting my typing, and of anticipating what word I am about to spell.  Perhaps because they know that I am an excellent speller and am not known to be prone to typos, they think they can make an easy job of it.  Consequently, when I mean to type “if,” they may instead type “is;” for “of” they will give me “or.”  They have offered up “until” for “under” and “window” for “winter.”    In the second sentence above they tried to give me “have” for “of,” which is really a stretch since they don’t even begin the same, and I wasn’t trying to type “would’ve.”  They also presume to add a “g” to any word ending in “in,” since they know that “ing” is such a common ending.  Hence, “beging” for “begin.”    In a recent post to my blog, I discovered only upon rereading after posting that they had typed “time” for “top.”  Now I ask you, is there any rhyme or reason to that one?  Further, they are always choosing which there/their/they’re I mean to type, and as often as not choosing wrong.  Problem is, since I am typing merrily along quite sure that my spelling is as good as it ever was, I am not aware when those fingers double-cross me; I have to carefully reread everything I write to be sure it comes out as I meant it to.

That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, “Let your fingers do the talking.”  No, wait a minute, isn’t that supposed to be “walking?”

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment