Friday, November 11, 2011

On Sleeplessness and Deep Breathing

Having endured many nights of sleeplessness and restlessness, sometime ago I decided to try deep breathing, though I had never heard it suggested as a remedy.   Several times over a period of weeks I tried the deep breathing exercise, but I could never remember later whether or not it worked.  I could not remember, though, lying there still wakeful and thinking that it hadn’t worked.  Although I couldn’t vouch for it, and never recommended it to anyone, still I would occasionally try again.
A couple of nights ago, still wakeful at 3:30 a.m., I decided to try again.  I began to take deep breaths, then I was dreaming that I was explaining to someone how the exercise worked, and was saying, “They say that even Republicans have tried it.”  I awoke to my terrier, Tessa, whistling in my ear that she wanted to go out.

So I am still not sure if it works.  Has anyone tried it? 
But I am sure that it is a bipartisan exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment